Certain foods can cause chemical changes in your body that can make you more prone to or exacerbate depression and should be avoided. These include:
- Alcohol – alcohol is a depressant and can cause massive changes in serotonin, which will make you feel much worse.
- Soda – this is loaded with either sugar or artificial sweeteners and is also a diuretic (which means it makes you urinate more); all these things can set you up for depression.
- Artificial sweeteners – these have been shown to alter neurotransmitter levels as well as cause blood sugar imbalances, which will exacerbate depression.
- Caffeine – this is a diuretic and brain stimulant; although you may get an initial ‘pop’ from the caffeine, it will wear off quickly and cause neurotransmitter levels to fall.
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG) – this is used in many foods as a flavor enhancer. MSG acts as a neurotransmitter and can dramatically alter brain functioning, which can exacerbate depression.