Just as many foods can exacerbate depression several foods have been found to help support proper neurotransmitter balance which can help improve depression. These include:
- Salmon – the high amounts of omega-3 essential fatty acids and lean protein make salmon an ideal protein source for those with depression.
- Avocados – loaded with healthy fats, avocados also help promote serotonin synthesis.
- Blueberries and strawberries – high in antioxidants and vitamins, these nutritional powerhouses can help give the body the nutrients it needs to function properly.
- Nutritional yeast – sprinkle some on oatmeal, salads, or put in smoothies; this is high in B-vitamins and can help stabilize blood sugar.
- Yogurt and cottage cheese – high in protein and low in saturated fat, these two dairy products can help stabilize blood sugar and supply necessary amino acids to help with neurotransmitter balance.